The rules for the participation of non-EU-member countries are set out in Article 4 of Decision n. 1639/2006/EC
of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 October 2006 establishing the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme (CIP) 2007-2013
"The Framework Programme shall be open to the participation of:
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries which are members of the European Economic Area (EEA), in accordance with the conditions laid down in the EEA Agreement;
- accession countries and candidate countries benefiting from a pre-accession strategy, in accordance with the general principles and general terms and conditions for the participation of those countries in Community programmes established in the respective Framework Agreements and Association Council Decisions;
- countries of the Western Balkans, in accordance with the provisions to be determined with those countries following the establishment of Framework Agreements concerning their participation in Community programmes;
- other third countries, when Agreements and procedures so allow."
The following non-EU-member countries are participating in the three specific CIP programmes:
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Programme (EIP): Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Croatia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Turkey and Serbia fully participate in the EIP; Israel and Albania participate in certain parts.
- Intelligent Energy Europe Programme (IEE): Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Croatia.
- ICT Policy Support Programme (ICT-PSP): Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Croatia, Turkey and Serbia.